Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Week 3, Progress & Reading Response

Inspiration Images:

First four images: These are images I found online, which are very close to what I am going for in my mosaic; I again, unfortunately do not know the artists.

Second to last Image: This is a display I came across in Downtown Disney; it inspired me to do a mosaic myself.

Final Image: This character, Elsa, is who I wanted to portray in my piece; she is from Disney's latest movie, Frozen.









Progress:

Here I have the initial sketch for my design and below, the pieces of the mosaic, cut from wood. After the pieces are painted, I will attach them to a black, wooden board, separated, in order to show the black spaces in between.







Reading Response:

Jan Harrison, Soul Genus Fusion, Pages: 126-133

While I only admire Harrison's ideas, on the simple level of fantasy, rather than in a ritualistic manner, I find that her fusion of the human body with the animal, is very revealing of not only her own admiration for the animal body and character, but reflective of the desires of many others, to take on the traits of animals. Whether used in literature, metaphor or film; character's are commonly linked with the abilities of the animal, whether it is the attachment of wings, or the speed of a cheetah. I think that there is something quite appealing in the being of animals; they are mysterious and intelligent and each are equipped with special skills, which allow them to perform certain tasks. I also feel that Harrison's mention of the animal as non-egotistic, or self serving, beyond practical means, is well expressed; there can certainty be observed, something extraordinary about the innocence of the animal existence.

I also feel a close tie of Harrison's sentiments, to those of Native American legend; many films and books portray the belief of Native American tribes, of being reborn as an animal after their death. Ceremonial dances and costumes also relate back to a variety of animal species; performers clothe themselves and paint their faces, to reflect the personalities of the species they are portraying. This painting of oneself into another being, is much like what Harrison does in her own paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment