Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Week 6, Progress & Reading Response

Inspiration Images:

The pictures below, represent the colors, as well as the whimsical, but mystical feeling, which I wanted my piece to portray.







Progress:

My main trials in creating this piece, were the choice of color palette, and the cutting of the tree's intricate design. I am very content with the final color choices that I made, although they differ from my original plan.




Reading Response:

Skip Schukmann, One-On-One, Pages: 34-43

As I was reading about Skip's process, I couldn't help be reminded of a model, Native American Camp, that I hand crafted when I was 12; I created a tepee, a horse pen, a fire pit, a wooden platform, a structure to stretch animals skins and little tools for various uses. Everything I created, with the exception of a few pieces of scrap fabric, were materials I found in nature; rocks, twigs, thin, smooth and long sticks, and strong grass roots for weaving things together. While I was reflecting on this memory, I felt I could understand what Skip must feel, when he does his creations; the Native American camp that I made, was specific to my interests in their culture and left me feeling proud and closer to the natural ways, in which the Native Americans, crafted such beautiful and useful things.

I also can relate to Skip's pull towards the offerings of the natural world; whether it is the colors, or content I use in my paintings, or the great love I have for fantasy, films scenes, that illustrate an unimaginably majestic forest, I find wonderful beauty in nature's elements. Skip's process seems to nudge his audience towards such natural gifts and reveal a greater cosmetic treatment than destruction and expensive renovations.

I feel that the artist's choice of relationship, with his clients, further characterizes him as a down-to-earth individual; to fully understand and pursue the unique person of each client, not only benefits the soul of each piece, but also shares a perspective that is caring and contemplative of diversity and individuality.

No comments:

Post a Comment