Sunday, February 16, 2014

Week 5, Progress & Reading Response

Inspiration Images:

Image 1 & 2: These are both prints that I did in Itaglio Printmaking; the sharp curves, of the spirals I designed, greatly influenced the tree for my mosaic.

Image 2: The mute, but rich colors in the image, are strongly relative to the dark, but intriguing feel I want my colors to portray.

Image 3: The Disney Villains are dark in their narrative and character, however they are very colorful and refrain from being dark, in way that is morbid or unappealing.For me, this direction is similar to Tim Burton, Alice In Wonderland and certain aspects of my own style.

Image 4: Tim Burton's work and the style of, Sleep Hollow, in particular, influence the eerie, but whimsical feeling of this particular area of my style and my current piece.






 







Progress:

Image 1: My initial sketch.

Image 2: My sketch copied onto the wood.








Reading Response:

Arnolda Morales, Imposing Corporal Punishment, Pages: 94-101


I think that Morales's work reflects intentions, much like many other forms of art; an artist wants to communicate something and then receive the audience's reaction. For the artist, the reaction may, or may not be important, but to Morales, it certainty seems to be a key desire.  Morales's intentions to inspire fear and surprise, appear as a great experiment; I find it interesting how he tests the limits of human curiosity and the ability to over come fear itself. With such an experiment, Morales has a chance to see the results of something, usually only observed in real life situations.

For me, Morales's experiments present a surprising illustration of humanity's reaction to violence and harmful situations. While in the general society, it is expected that one should fear and maintain distance from dangerous scenarios; however, when Arnoldo's audience is presented with a chance to experience legitimate risk, while at the same time, being partially protected, it becomes of moment, of inciting discovery. It's like when you learn that you can run your finger through a lighter, without being burnt, as long as you are quick, or brush your skin with water beforehand. Anarldo's situations, reveal a general desire to discover uncharted territory of one's self.

I found myself in agreement, with Morale's statement of art's inmeasurability; art is not something calculated, it is an open door with no directions or specifics. In literature, you are free to a certain degree; you can imagine endless worlds and possibilities, but there is still a basic structure for writing. Going even further, in mathematics, everything is calculated and learned. However, in the realm of art, the structure is irrelevant. To be a great artist, I believe it is key to learn the basics and to be knowledgeable of what has been done before; however, the core of the work an artist creates, that is their own, is something that came from inside them, not from text books, or classes, although inspiration assuredly plays it's part.

No comments:

Post a Comment