Friday, March 28, 2014

Week 10, Progress & Reading Response


Progress:







Inspiration Images:

For Block:





For Marionettes:











Reading:

Scott Grieger, Corporate Hype, Spiritual Coll, Military Heat, and Global Warming, Pages: 150-155

I felt Scott's perception of corporate control is well established. I find it so strange how symbols and brand names make society feel and act a certain way. Even though I am greatly aware of the tricks caused by usage of color, advertisement and displays utilized by companies, I still sometimes find myself pulled to pay more money, for something just because it's, Ganier, Pure Protein, or Bath & Body Works. While I think some companies do provide better products than store brands, or knock-off brands, I have also discovered that many times the cheaper brand works just as well. So why is this important? I think Scott's recognition of this mind trick is essential to our general awareness; using his art to reach audiences and influence the flow of consumerism and capitalism, has the ability to better individual lives and ways of living. As Scott noted, this relates to all kinds of "high power" control, that while arguably, not always negative, should however, be recognized and monitored to insure societal well being.

I was also drawn to Grieger's message of environmental misconduct; as much as I would rather say I am responsible in all of my own choices, in consideration of the environment, I would not be stating fact. I believe it is all too simple to become caught up in one's own life and routine and to ignore the consequences our actions cause. Whether is it the carelessness, of throwing away perfectly recyclable containers and packaging, or using unnecessary excesses of water, our simple movements throughout life, can do a great deal of damage. Greiger's sense of responsibility, can be a revolutionary addition to all of our consciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment